The financial Heart of Penang
The capital of the island of Penang was named by the British after King George III. It was established by Capt Francis Light in 1786. Penang is the oldest British settlement in Malaysia. The inner city has a population of 510,996, while the metropolitan area, also known as the George Town Conurbation, consists of Jelutong, Sungai Pinang, Sungai Nibong,Gelugor, Air Itam, Tanjung Bungah and Tanjung Tokong with a combined population of 2,251,792, making it the second largest metropolitan area and the biggest northern metropolis in Malaysia.